If you’re sending an important email to someone, find out when they’ve opened it by setting up a read receipt.
A read request is sent to every recipient in the To and Cc fields, but not to recipients in the Bcc field, mailing lists, or aliases.
Note: Read receipts work on most email systems, but the behavior depends on different email software. For more information, see Enable read receipts.
Send a read receipt with an email
- In Gmail, compose your message.
- At the bottom of the compose window, click the Down arrow arrow_drop_down > Request read receipt.
- Click Send. You’ll get a notification email when your message is opened.
Note: If you can’t create Read receipts, contact your G Suite administrator.
Approve a read receipt
Depending on the settings for your organization, you might have to approve sending a read receipt to the person who sent you the email message. If so, when you try to close or navigate away from a message with a read receipt, you’ll be prompted to send the receipt.
- In the receipt box, click Send receipts or Not now.
- If you click Not now, you’ll be prompted again the next time you open the message.