In the past, you might’ve kept multiple drafts of your files in case you needed to refer or switch to earlier versions.
Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides keep all your drafts in one file. You can easily view or restore earlier versions.
- Track changes to important files.
- Revert to previous versions any time you change your mind.
- When you’re collaborating with others, view a record of who made which edits in your file.
- Keep your folders clean—there’s no need to keep multiple drafts of your files anymore.
See or revert to earlier versions of a file
- In Google Drive, open your file.
- From Docs, Sheets, or Slides, select File > Version history > See version history.
- Click a timestamp to see a previous version of the file. Below the timestamp, you’ll see:
- Names of people who edited the document.
- A color next to each person’s name. The edits they made appear in that color.
- Click Restore this version to make it the active version.
Note: You need Owner or Can edit access to see the version history.