Search past chats and find the exact reference you’re looking for with Google Hangouts chat history.
Classic Hangouts instructions
Access your chat history
Hangouts chat history is turned on by default, but you can turn it on or off at any time.
- In Gmail or Inbox, click Hangouts hangout.
Do one of the following:
- In Gmail, click a person's name to view chat history with that person.
- In Inbox, click New conversation
addand enter a person's name. Click the name to view chat history with that person.
Turn off your chat history
- Select the conversation which you want to turn off chat history, and click Settings settings.
- Deselect Conversation history.
- Click OK.
Archive or delete an open chat
Select the conversation you want to archive or delete, and click Settings settings > Archive conversation or Delete conversation.
Access archived chats
Click the Down arrow arrow_drop_down beside your name (Gmail) or in the Search box (Inbox) and select Archived Hangouts.