Chrome browsers only
When you click email links in webpages, you can automatically open them in Gmail instead of your desktop client.
Just set up Gmail as your default email program. Clicking email links will open Gmail Compose in a new tab with a pre-filled To: email address field.
Make Gmail the default email program when you click email links in Chrome
- In the Chrome browser menu, click Menu menu and select Settings.
- At the bottom of the page, click Show advanced settings.
- In the Privacy section, click Content settings... .
- In the dialog box, find the Handlers section and select Allow sites to ask to become default handlers for protocols.
- Click Done.
- Open Gmail in your Chrome browser.
- In your browser’s address bar, click Default handler .
- Select Allow and click Done.